8.08.2011

Harvest Monday and Tomato Envy

It is that time of year when I am envious of everyone else and their tomatoes. We still have not had even close to a full pound of tomatoes yet, and again this year, they just seem to be taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get ripe.

Last week wasn't too eventful due to the damn chickens eating and pecking at nearly all of my peppers. Yes, even the hot peppers. They are quarantined to the small section of the backyard with the carrots and the butternut squash. Speaking of squash, I pulled out all of my Provencal pumpkins. We would have had a lot of pumpkins, but in my novice experience, I did not realize how crazy big they would get and spread out, and that is just not worth losing the space to me. I would rather put in my fall greens and get a harvest we will actually use. I can get a nice pumpkin at the farmers market to make my puree for the winter. So what did we get?? Well, we got a handful of black cherry tomatoes, a couple of thai pink egg tomatoes, and some eggplant (which were not weighed and given away to Hubby's dad and his wifey) and a MASSIVE zucchini that was found hiding amongst the pumpkin vines.

3 lb, 9 oz

Totals for the year: 37 lb 7 oz

Thanks Daphne for hosting Harvest Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Now that zuke can go to the chickens to peck at. That's the problem with them...they hide in plain sight until they're not edible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in NE Ohio too and I am SO jealous of everyones tomato posts!!! :( Ours just didn't do well this year :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chickens even got the hot peppers? WHOA! Those will be some spicy eggs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it is still early August. Those tomatoes still have time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cherry tomatoes look amazing. They are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomatoes have lots of time. I just picked my first red one this past week. But I understand how you feel seeing so many beautiful tomatoes posted on Harvest Mondays.

    I can't believe the chickens ate even hot peppers. Whew! And that massive zucchini? Been there to many times to admit. Sometimes I wonder where they come from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about pumpkins, last summer mine smothered all my broccolli, greans, melons and so on. Still as a pumpkin lover it was worth it...not for everyone though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's still lots of time for tomatoes... I hope. Our tomatoes haven't come in yet either. They're still very green. They need lots of sun, but it's been raining for 3 days. I'm afraid they're going to rot or split on the vine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm feeling some tomato envy too, people pulling in like 20lbs of tomatoes a day...i don't come anywhere close to that until september! the ones you got look delicious though. i haven't tried black cherry but i bet they're a lot like chocolate cherry, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete