8.28.2011

Garden at the End of August

Summer is coming to a close, and so is the summer portion of the garden... The tomatoes are starting to die off, just as they are coming into their prime. Today we got a boat load of tomatoes (I will post all the numbers tomorrow during Harvest Monday) and I FINALLY was able to can some maters! I got 7 quarts of whole tomatoes, 4 pints of diced tomatoes, and 1 pint and 1/2 pint of juice. YAY! And of course, Oliver was such a good helper today...

I had too many tomatoes that weren't totally ripe (since my san marzano plants keep dropping fruit, I try to pick them when they are still slightly green,) and not enough riper ones to can, so I made dinner and it was AWESOME. Our favorite dinner now is homemade pasta with a simple tomato/onion/garlic/and sometimes italian sausage sauce. Delish!

Last week I also cut my basil bumper crop because the wind was so bad that it was just all over the place. We got 6 ice cube trays of pesto, plus 2 cups for Momma Gardener to take home (which she forgot and is stinking up my fridge.)

The fall crops have mostly popped up, and maybe I will get my first spinach. Spinach and I have a love/hate relationship. I love trying to grow it, and it hates me and refuses to do so. I hope it goes better this season.
End of August aerial.
First batch of canned maters!
Oh dinner, I love you

Oliver... Such a good sleeper... I mean helper!


8 comments:

  1. LOL, Oliver is the best! He really steals the show :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Oliver needs a wee bit bigger basket!
    :D
    What a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummmm... that dinner looks oh so yummy! Love love love that pasta maker :) (nice Andy~) love your overhead shot of the farm.... hope all goes san fran tastic at school today~~ hugs pea pod

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinner does look lovely - do you deliver? I'll take the cat too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it's not just me! I try to grow spinach every year, and it won't grow for me, either. I finally tried New Zealand spinach this year, and it did grow for me. I think I'm going to switch to just that next year and give up on the true spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oliver is a cutie. Good luck with the spinach. I had some in my early Spring garden and since we had about two days of Spring then went straight to scorching, it didn't last long. I think I got one meal and one sandwich out of it. Best of luck to you with yours!

    ReplyDelete