7.02.2011

Knee High by the Fourth of July?

I am not sure about other regions of the country, but our old Ohio country adage about corn is knee high by the fourth of July. Just for the record, my knee is 19 inches from the ground, and my corn is only 9 inches tall. Not only that, but I planted roughly 25 corn plants, and only about 7 or 8 of them are actually growing. I don't think that will be enough stalks to pollinate one another. I have decided to just pull them out and say screw it. I will try again next year. However, that also means no pole beans since I had planned the garden out using the corn as my bean poles. Again, better luck next year.

I finally was able to get a picture of Dorothy. She is kind of a food hog, and steals the treats away from Blanch and Rose. I am sure they are just sorting out their new pecking order, and the behavior will subside. They have gotten the clue that I am the food giver and get all excited when I go outside. Blanche and Rose are officially acclimated to their new digs, and are both successfully laying eggs. Rose lays in the afternoon, and Blanche in the morning. Dorothy is yet to give it up. She will get there. She is just more stubborn than the other two. Well named after the characters!

Eggs to date: 3

Dorothy

Left to Right: Rose, Dorothy, Blanche

5 comments:

  1. Love the names you picked for the girls. Folks that say they have no personalities never had chickens. They most certainly have their own little quirks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 egg envy :0}

    Do you have bush bean? Maybe you could get some down in place of the corn since you are losing the pole beans also. Can't imagine a summer without my green beans! boohisss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I think if one has many animals, they never get a chance to get to know the personalities of their animals just because they are busy and have many things to take care of. I have only had these girls for a couple of days, and I definitely feel they have personalities. Kind of like my cats. They are all different, and I love them all!

    APG, No, I don't have any bush beans. I tried to grow some a couple years ago, and they never took off. I don't have the space for them anyways. The bed where the beans were to be planted has the 3 sisters in it, so the dirt space is pretty dominated by my pumpkins and acorn squash :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickens are cute:) Maybe you could let corn stand (as a support) for pole beans?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the eggs! We are in the middle of molting here and so from 10 hens we are lucky if we get one egg a day. I am envious of your eggs!

    We have the same saying here about knee high by the 4th of July. I have only seen one field that is even close this year. And its only because his field is on high ground. No one else could get in their fields to plant!

    ReplyDelete