5.19.2011

Duh! Why Didn't I Think of That?!

Yes, this is my second post of the day. What can I say? The sun is out and I keep finding things to talk about! Oh, yeah, no rain yet, and I could have had my dirt delivered this morning... Ugh... Anyways! If there is anything you need to know, just ask your mother. Seriously. Or mine. When I was little, my mother knew everything! How to sew, cook, use tools, make barbie doll clothes and horse show clothes alike, everything! (She still does, but I will get to that.) When I was a tweenager and into my actual teens, she knew nothing. Now that I am a grown up, she knows EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING.

My point? I asked earlier about tulips and what to do with them now that they look as though they had been around the block and put away wet, and so I asked Momma Gardener. "Fold them over and tie them" she says. I was like, seriously? Thats it? She says, "That's it." Duh! Why didn't I think of that?! She said that this will force the plant to store its nutrients in the bulb and then I can dig them up and move them in the fall. Easy as that! My mother knows everything. And so I went outside with the thought "tulip killer tulip killer" running through my head, just like Julie Powell in "Julie and Julia"... "Lobster Killer, lobster killer, lobstaaaa killaaaa"

Now for another problem, one that can't be dealt with by Momma G or by lack of rain... My side yard smells like cat turds. That is because it is chock full of them. The neighborhood cats are the biggest friggin pains ever. Cute as they may be, I hate them! (and I say this as my adopted stray from this neighborhood is sleeping on me) I hate them!!!! So what does a resourceful girl with city blood and country background do? SPrinkle the ground with baking soda of course! (I am desperate here people). If it works in cat litter and in the fridge, why can't it work outside? If you have a better idea to keep these brats out of my dirt, then by all means, please please please share!!!
backyard complete with composters

decapitated tulips

neighborhood litter box

5 comments:

  1. Next time you are at a garden center get a bag of pulverized lime. It is cheap and will totally control the odor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fold the tulips, eh? Does mom realize I dooonalike to fold my clothes even? Who'da thunk THAT tho? Very interesting. Gotta love Mom's, they DO know everything!

    And the cat problem, I want to comment on that, but I will bite my tongue. Nuff said ;}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fold up your tulips... Seriously?
    I don't know about you, but I've YET to see a gardener---IN THE SPRING---- who had THAT kind of time.
    As for the cats-a big dog in retaliation?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. APG - I have had those bad thoughts as well... However, that would probably break the heart of the old man down the street that feeds them all...

    Sue - I folded the tulips. Honestly, it didn't take very much time, and considering that I STILL don't have dirt for garden beds, I didn't have much else to do... And the cats... I just don't even know what to say. They suck.

    ReplyDelete