4.26.2011

Lemon Cake

I cook. I bake. This is what I do when I need a break from homework, aka, procrastination at it's tastiest! Today I made a lemon/ginger cake... It was barely gingery, and I will make it more so next time, but this is tasty nevertheless!
Lemon Cake and Glaze

1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
2 eggs, room temp
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
zest of 2 lemons
1 inch (more next time) grated ginger (candied or crystallized ginger would be nice too)
2 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, vanilla, milk (I didn't have any today so I used vanilla yogurt), salt, lemon zest, and ginger. Mix everything together well, and scrape the bowl. Add the flour and baking soda, mix just until it comes together. Pour the batter into a bundt pan and bake at 350 until done (honestly I didn't time it. I just kept my eye on it and did dishes. I would say check it after 25 minutes and see where you are at.)

Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes (I did not do this because I have no patience when I am procrastinating, and it came out in pieces) and then flip it out onto your serving plate of choice, and let cool completely.

Make the glaze: powdered sugar and the juice from the lemons you previously zested. Again, I, uh, didn't measure, just mix enough of the 2 until you get a nice pouring consistency so it drips down the crevasses of the cake. Pour onto the cake and enjoy! DON'T make the glaze until you are ready to pour, it gets hard FAST!

5 comments:

  1. Soooo delicious. What better way to put the other stuff off than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS.....are you working on your cookbook yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I read this before lunch time, so double yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMmm...this looks great! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete