4.06.2011

Chicken Soup for the Gardeners Cold

Yesterday, I did end up working outside. It got sunny, still cold, but I just couldn't resist. I cleared out the spaces between the garage and Bianca's garden, and the area between the garage and the backyard neighbors fence which holds in their garden. As I was raking out old weeds and clinging evil plants that I promise to take a picture of later, I noticed that the entire area between our garage and Bianca's garden is covered, and I mean COVERED in parsley. I will never have to grow parsley again, since uh, it is EVERYWHERE. The backyard neighbor with the pool who doesn't garden, well, I need to have a talk with her... Or Hubby does... I want permission to take care of the area behind her pool because she does not. I cut down as many wayward branches and pulled as much out as I could reach over the fence. It is a hot mess back there, and It just grows over into my yard with weeds and vines, and it sucks. It needs some serious attention, if just to keep the budding trees to a manageable size.

On actual garden notes, we went and purchased MOST of the wood needed for our new raised beds, and we still need 3 more pieces of 2*10*12 to finish off the stockpile, but they wouldn't fit in the car, so I will have to go back and make a separate purchase. Here is how silly we looked last night...
I also went down to the community garden (on my bike!!!) to check on the progress of things. The onions are starting to sprout, and so are the peas! Thank goodness! I was really worried about them rotting or freezing to death. I also saw some crocus flowers down at the bocce ball court, and took some pics of my herbs that are coming back.
onion sprouts

peas!

tarragon

chives

crocus (I think)
SO for the chicken soup... I woke up this morning with a little bit of a sore throat, and am trying to avoid a cold. I made some chicken soup with homemade chicken stock, noodles, and onions, garlic, carrots, and brussel sprouts from the market (I didn't have any celery on hand) and topped it off with some grated parmesan cheese. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. yes pea pod, those are crocus :)

    and your herbs look AMAZING! there is hope that spring is returning~

    be sure you do not encounter poison ivy or oak back there while cleaning up

    hugs~~Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of lumber did you buy for raised bed? We bought cedar after reading about chemicals leeching into veggies, but they're pretty expensive. Your plants are all looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. Don't you love seeing the herbs come back to life. Your neighbor's yard sounds annoying. Maybe she'll let you garden in there. I hear you on the car being full with raised bed material. This was ours. http://nycgardening.blogspot.com/2010/10/if-you-wondered-what-800-pounds-of-dirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy! The soup looks delicious. I love the brussel sprouts addition. Can you tell me a little more about your homemade stock?

    ReplyDelete